Help sponsor future women-doctors in Nicaragua. Sister Ann, Adelante Mujer foundress, has received some special gifts from the women in the program as a token of their gratitude for all she has done for them. Without Adelante Mujer, these women would not have been able to become medical doctors. When you donate to Adelante Mujer, every penny received goes to helping cover expenses of the schooling needed to become medical doctors in Nicaragua. Here is an update from Nicaragua.
As part of a team-building exercise of SSM-AHC , the first stop was the Founder's Home in 320 County Road K. Five teams came to bring beautiful flowers which brought smiles to the sisters' faces.
On Saturday, March 23, 2019, in Bilwi/Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua the fifth class of doctors raised their right hands and pronounced Hippocratic Oath taken by doctors through the ages. Congratulations to 14 industrious young women for their courage to pursue higher education! Congratulations to their families who accompanied them through six years of significant challenges and rewarding accomplishments. Congratulations to every donor to Adelante Mujer because your gift not only blessed these doctors with a profession but will also benefit thousands of Nicaraguans by the health care they provide for decades into the future.
A dream of Sister Ann McKean, CSA, PhD, begun ten years ago, continues to reap innumerable blessings. Congratulations, Doctors! Thank you, Donors!
Milwaukee, WI - Sister Jomarie Zielke, has recently begun providing services two days a week at CORE El Centro as a “Life Journey Companion.” Fluent in Spanish and with a background in nursing and leadership in CSA, Jomarie receives referrals from CORE practitioners with names of people who wish to meet with her. Her full story and other news from CORE’s Development Director, Pat Bogenschuetz, CSA, are available in their newsletter at the link below.
In a time of national emergency, citizens work to make a difference any way they can. The Sisters of St. Agnes are no exception as evidenced by their efforts to train nurses during both World Wars.
St. Agnes School of Nursing opened in Fond du Lac in 1910 as the need for sister nurses increased with the opening of CSA’s second hospital, St. Anthony in Hays, Kansas. When a nursing shortage occurred during the First World War as well as growing patient loads at St. Agnes and St. Anthony Hospitals, the decision was made to open St. Agnes School of Nursing to lay students in 1917.
A generation later as the United States entered World War II, CSA again stepped up and took part in the Nurse Cadet Corps program to help train nurses for the war effort. Two classes of students enrolled each year in the government-subsidized accelerated program. CSA’s program was initiated by Sister Digna Desch, who served as director of the school from 1922 to 1944 and 1947 to 1951. Her successor, Sister Juliana Kohne, continued the program even as she dealt with reduced numbers of staff physicians and nurses in the hospitals, a lack of prepared teaching personnel, and skyrocketing enrollments. Despite these hardships, between 1943 and 1948, St. Agnes School of Nursing graduated 240 cadet nurses, many of whom served with distinction in the armed forces and veterans’ hospitals.
This article is reprinted from the February 2019 issue of Reflections and Connections. Click here to read the rest of the issue!
Since 2002, CORE El Centro has provided a community that has few primary care providers with holistic health services for all ages, including stress management, acupuncture, reiki training, and yoga and meditation classes. Nearly 6,000 clients of all income levels are served annually, 79 percent of them Latinx. Read more.
On Thursday, November 15 Monroe Clinic dedicated an etched glass art piece entitled, “Be Still” in honor of the Congregation of Sisters of St. Agnes. The piece was installed in the Meditation room adjacent to the chapel. The morning began with brunch and a tour of the new construction taking place on the Monroe Clinic campus. The welcome by the leadership of Monroe Clinic was heartfelt and reminded those present of the long and fruitful mission partnership between the Sisters of St. Agnes and Monroe Clinic.