Justice Alerts Blog
Nonviolence... Human trafficking... Women... The elderly... Immigrants' rights... Housing... Children... Prisoners' rights... Health care... World Hunger... Globalization, as it affects Latin America... Care of the earth... Seamless ethic of life
The mission of the Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation ministry is to explore CSA's distinct contribution to the ongoing, nonviolent transformation of the world towards peace, justice and ecology. This work embraces the efforts of sisters, associates, co-workers and others who share the CSA vision. We live out the mission to bring about systemic change by using the lens of nonviolence to focus on the issues of women, children, health care, globalization (especially as it affects Latin America), seamless ethic of life.
Note: The ideas and opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of the author's and should not be ascribed to the Congregation of Sisters of St. Agnes or its members.
The Senate's Supplemental Relief Package
Justice Alerts may be coming more frequently during this time when Congress is in session. Now is a crucial time to let them know where you stand. Senate Republicans released their proposal for the next COVID-19 supplemental relief package. It is not enough and must be challenged.
Tell them to protect people with this COVID-19 legislation!
Call twice to reach both of your Senators.
When you call, here's what you might say:
"Hello, my name is [NAME] and I'm a constituent from [TOWN]. I'm calling to ask the Senator to advocate for provisions that support families in the next Senate COVID-19 response package. Specifically, this legislation should extend the pandemic Unemployment Insurance benefit, extend expired housing protections, and increase Medicaid funding for state and local governments to pay the rising costs of health care during this pandemic.
As a person of faith, I believe every person in our country should have what they need to get by during this pandemic. Right now the Senate plan fails to meet the needs of families on the brink of eviction, families that have depleted their savings, and state and local governments struggling to pay the cost of health care. Please amend this plan to give more support people and families during his crisis."
A Comprehensive Bill would include:
- Additional federal aid to states, cities, and towns to avoid layoffs and cuts to education, health and other vital services for those most in need;
- Access to benefits for immigrants and their families;
- An increase food assistance through SNAP;
- Help for millions behind in their rent or mortgage payments to avoid evictions and homelessness;
- Extended, expanded federal unemployment benefits for those who lost their jobs;
- A temporary increase in the Earned Income Tax Credits and Child Tax Credits to boost incomes of struggling workers and families;
- Expanded access to health coverage and funding to meet public health needs;
- Relief funding for child care so providers can open safely;
- Additional funding to ensure a successful 2020 Census operation and for safe, fair elections;
- Generous foreign aid assistance to help developing countries deal with the pandemic.