Justice Alerts Blog
Nonviolence... Human trafficking... Women... The elderly... Immigrants' rights... Housing... Children... Prisoners' rights... Health care... World Hunger... Globalization, as it affects Latin America... Care of the earth... Seamless ethic of life
The mission of the Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation ministry is to explore CSA's distinct contribution to the ongoing, nonviolent transformation of the world towards peace, justice and ecology. This work embraces the efforts of sisters, associates, co-workers and others who share the CSA vision. We live out the mission to bring about systemic change by using the lens of nonviolence to focus on the issues of women, children, health care, globalization (especially as it affects Latin America), seamless ethic of life.
Note: The ideas and opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of the author's and should not be ascribed to the Congregation of Sisters of St. Agnes or its members.
Season of Creation
September 1 was proclaimed as a Day of Prayer Creation for the Eastern Orthodox Church by Ecumenical Patriarch Dimitrios Iin 1989. It was embraced by other major Christian European churches in 2001, and by Pope Francis for the Roman Catholic Church in 2015. This year's theme is Jubilee for the Earth.
A Prayer for our Earth by Pope Francis
All-powerful God, you are present in the whole universe
and in the smallest of your creatures.
You embrace with your tenderness all that exists.
Pour out upon us the power of your love,
that we may protect life and beauty.
Fill us with peace, that we may live
as brothers and sisters, harming no one.
O God of the poor,
help us to rescue the abandoned and forgotten of this earth,
so precious in your eyes.
Bring healing to our lives,
that we may protect the world and not prey on it,
that we may sow beauty, not pollution and destruction.
Touch the hearts
of those who look only for gain
at the expense of the poor and the earth.
Teach us to discover the worth of each thing,
to be filled with awe and contemplation,
to recognize that we are profoundly united
with every creature
as we journey towards your infinite light.
We thank you for being with us each day.
Encourage us, we pray, in our struggle
for justice, love and peace.
* This prayer is included in Pope Francis’s 2015 encyclical Laudato si’
- Register for this online prayer service from Catholic Climate Movement. Youth from around the globe will lead this service and offer reflections.
- Join Columban missionaries from around the world for a podcast mini-series about the beauty of biodiversity and the threats it faces. Grounded in Catholic Social Teaching and the Columban experience, this podcast will explore how caring for our common home is integral to our lives as people of faith and global citizens. Called "Jubilee for the Earth: Biodiversity & Our Sacred Story," these six episodes will be released throughout the 2020 Season of Creation (September 1 - October 4). Each episode will explore biodiversity and a related issue like economic justice, peace, migration, and other themes of Catholic Social Teaching. Register Here
- This booklet introduces the Season of Creation and offers resources for celebrating each of the Sundays of the season from September 1st, the World Day for Prayer for Creation through October 4th, the feast of St. Francis. It offers penitential rite suggestions, prayers for the liturgy, scriptural reflections and more.
- Ignatian Solidarity Network offers a challenge to develop daily habits for a healthy planet.