From its beginnings in 1858, the Congregation of St. Agnes has regarded one living site as its central house. The location of this house, called the motherhouse, has varied over time in order to adjust to changing needs and circumstances. "We regard the motherhouse as the heart and home of the congregation, where we may always come to renew ourselves and deepen the bond that unites us." [Constitutions, 48]
St. Agnes Convent Barton, Wisconsin 1858-1870
St. Agnes Convent was originally located in Barton, Wisconsin, a small village near the west bend of the Milwaukee River.
St. Agnes Convent, East Division Street, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 1870-1877
In 1870, Mother Agnes Hazotte moved the small community of women to property on Division Street in Fond du Lac, a growing city on the south shores of Lake Winnebago. This two-story house was joined with a barn and granary on the site, then remodeled to house the sisters and to provide space for a school. It was used by the congregation for varied purposes for more than a century.
St. Agnes Convent, 390 E. Division Street, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 1877-1975
The congregation thrived, increasing in membership and expanding its outreach to cities and villages stretching from New York to Kansas and Michigan to Texas. Additions were made to the 1877 building in 1887, 1909, and 1935. From 1936 until 1966, Marian College of Fond du Lac was housed within the St. Agnes Convent complex.
St. Agnes Convent, 475 Gillett Street, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 1975-1999
In 1975, the congregation moved to the former St. Agnes School of Nursing set on the east end of St. Agnes Hospital campus. Demolition of the historic 390 E. Division Street structure, which was in need of major upgrading, allowed for the expansion and development of St. Agnes Hospital to the west.
St. Agnes Convent, 1755 E. Johnson Street, Fond du Lac, WI 1999-February 5, 2002
Once again, in March 1999, the address of St. Agnes Convent was changed. Sister-residents and the offices of the congregation shared space and found a temporary home at 1755 East Johnson Street.
St. Agnes Convent, 320/330 County Road K, Fond du Lac, WI
The three hundred acres of motherhouse land include native prairie, tall grasses, wetlands, ponds, and a new planting of oak and hickory forests. The attention given to the environment reflects the congregation's ongoing concern for Earth. On this site, the new administrative center and community residence is designed to facilitate the congregation's commitment to its mission and to welcome and refresh all its members and guests in a setting of peaceful beauty.